Port of Shimizu
Signing Date: April 16, 1984 with Qingdao Port of Shandong Port Group
The port of Shimizu, located near Mount Fuji, enjoys prime accessibility and worldwide connections.
Its history goes back to the 7th century A.D. (the Asuka period in Japan).
From the 16th to the 18th centuries, the Shogunate, which ruled Japan from 1603 to 1868, viewed the port as an important strategic site and trading center.
The story of the Port of Shimizu as a modern harbor begins with its designation as an open port on Aug 4, 1899. The opening coincided with the arrival of the steam engine and industrial modernization.
Starting with the export of green tea, the port began handling products of Shizuoka and neighboring areas, such as citrus fruits, canned goods, motorcycles and musical instruments, and expanded in size and function with the industrialization of the coastal areas.
The port responded swiftly to the opening of the container era to become one of the leading exporters in the country. It also supports the economy of Shizuoka and central Japan with imports of raw materials such as timber, soy beans and bauxite, and has come to play an important role in Japan's high economic growth era.
Port of Shimizu [Photo provided to en.sd-port.com]
- Shandong Port Building, No. 7 Gangji Road, Shibei district, Qingdao, Shandong province, China
- Zip Code