Locality for the registration of marriage between the foreigners and Chinese citizens | Updated: Jan 8, 2020

According to the relevant legal provisions, foreigner (tourists excepted), overseas Chinese and overseas Chinese coming to China for a short stay who applies to get married with a Chinese citizen shall hold the certification provided by the notary office in his/her host country (or his or her country of residence) and authenticated by the Foreign Ministry of that country as well as the Chinese embassy or consulate for the applicant who has no spouse. The foreigners and the overseas Chinese may also hold the certification provided by embassy (consulate) of that country stationed in China for the applicant who has no spouse. Therefore, without the above-mentioned certificates, the Chinese courts shall not accept the case if only the affidavit (declaration) provided by the embassy (consulate) of the country of residence stationed in China is held without the above-mentioned certificates.